The History of Wedding Anniversaries
The traditions of celebrating wedding anniversaries can be traced back to both the Holy Roman Empire – where a husband would present his wife with a laurel wreath crafted in silver after 25 years and a gold wreath after 50 years – and medieval Germany, where a wooden gift was presented to the wife after the first year, and then similar silver and gold traditions were followed for the 25th and 50th years of marriage. Over time the number of symbols expanded and the German tradition came to assign gifts that had direct connections with each stage of married life, mirroring today’s conventions.
For a first wedding anniversary it is traditional to give a paper gift; a fitting derivative of the German tradition of wood.
First Wedding Anniversary Gift Ideas
Here are some ideas of what you could give to celebrate that all-important first year of marriage:
1. The obvious, but with a twist: a personalised card with a unique illustration and a heartfelt message
2. A personalised stationery set beautify gift boxed; for the ultimate in personalisation commission a monogram of your initials that can adorn letterheads, Correspondence note cards & invitations.
3. An invitation to a special night. Maybe you have a particular restaurant or dining spot that means a lot to you both, or you’re cooking an amazing dinner at home – an invitation makes it all the more of an occasion to be celebrated.
4. A map – to plot your future adventures.
5. If you had a special illustration for your wedding invitations and stationery, why not get a copy and have it mounted and framed; something that will remind you of your wedding day.
6. A message in a bottle – a simple hand written note is always appreciated.
7. If your partner is an avid reader, then a carefully chosen book will be perfect. It doesn’t have to be a romantic tale; you could go for the latest blockbuster or thriller. As long as it will be appreciated by the recipient, that’s what counts!
8. Tickets to a concert, show or event
9. Find an empty jar and fill it with notes of happy memories, experiences and events – and then open after your first year (OK, you have to plan this one, but we think it’s such a lovely idea, we had to share it with you)
10. Find a quote which epitomises you and your marriage, accompany with a unique illustration and have mounted and framed. We love Herman Hesse’s: ‘If I know what love is, it is because of you.’
We hope that our first wedding anniversary gift ideas give you an idea of what to get, and if our creative design team be able to assist in any way, please let us know.
Visit HoneyTree – the home of Personalised Stationery