Five Reasons why Huey Lewis (and the News) was right! Way back in the eighties in a time when Mark Zuckerberg was still in nappies, Huey Lewis and the News sang a rather catchy little tune called “Hip To Be Square”. Purportedly about the pleasures of conformity and the importance of trends, Huey was definitely onto something. In celebration of all things hip and all things square, here are our top 5 reasons why the regular quadrilateral is our fave:
Square invitation, Instagram trends and the domination of “flat design”…
1. The social square Instagram has taught us that photos of everything –from food snaps to selfies –look better when they’ re square. It’s become the standard for our life photography and prints (remember the physical kind that go in albums?) are now offered in a square option to reflect the shift.
2. Square goes way back Our love affair with square first started when album covers became art – even most of us that are too young to remember can picture Pink Floyd’ s ‘ Dark Side of the Moon’ or Duran Duran’s 1981 hit on vinyl. Vinyl has experienced a major comeback of late, with vinyl sales overtaking CD’ s in 2016.
3. Bang on trend Along with rose gold, copper and vintage florals, geometric prints are currently a major inspiration in interior design and fashion. 2016 has seen the square star on Marc Jacob’ s catwalk, and the geometric trend has been just as prominent in the home.
4. The Web Influence The domination of “Flat Design” (think Windows 10) has revolutionised the web–making simple, bold shapes synonymous with good design. With Google and Microsoft leaders in the web design field, the influence of square is not set to waiver anytime soon.
5. Stunning stationery, now more modern. Beautiful Honey Tree stationery now comes in contemporary square as well as traditional landscape and portrait, perfect for when you want to add a modern feel to your invitations and announcements. Packaged as beautifully as ever, and with a choice of hundreds of hand-drawn illustrations, our square invites are sure to win you over.